I. Перепишите следующие предложения, определите в каждом из них видовременную форму и залог глагола – сказуемого. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The radar has been used for the automatic control of ground transport.
2. Today plastics are being widely used instead of metals.
3. The construction of the dam has been completed this month.
4. The alloys were experimented upon in our lab.
II. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения слов it, that, one.
1. It is the number of electrons within the atom that determines the properties of a substance.
2. The territory of Moscow is larger than that of London.
3. In London one must get used to the left-side traffic.
III. Перепишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения глаголов to be, to have, to do.
1. Some substances do not conduct heat.
2. Our plant is to increase the output of consumer goods.
3. Soon our industry will have new and cheap sources of energy.
4. These computers will have to perform millions of operations per second.
IV. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на бессоюзное подчинение.
1. The hostel our students live in is situated not far from the metro station.
2. I think he has made a mistake in his calculations.
V. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на функцию инфинитива в предложении.
1. They promised to supply us with the necessary equipment.
2. The purpose of this book is to describe certain properties of metals.
3. The experiment to be carried out is of great importance for our research.
4. To convert chemical energy into electrical energy we must use an electrical cell.
It is impossible to imagine our civilization without electricity: economic and social progress will be turned to the past and our daily lives completely transformed. Electrical power has become universal Thousands of applications of electricity such as lighting, electrochemistry and electrometallurgy are longstanding and unquestionable. With the appearance of the electrical motor, power cables replaced transmission shafts, gear wheels, belts and pulleys1 in the 19-th century workshops. And in the home a whole range of various time and labour saving appliances2 have become a part of our everyday lives. Other devices are based on specific properties of electricity: electrostatics in the case of photocopying machine and electromagnetism in the case of radar and television. These applications have most widely used. The first industrial application was in the silver workshops in Paris. The generator - a new compact source of electricity — was also developed there. The generator replaced the batteries and other devices that had been used before.
2. Electric lighting came into wide use at the end of the last century with the development of the electric lamp by Thomas Edison. Then the transformer was invented, the first electric lines and networks were set up, dynamos and induction motors3 were designed. Since the beginning of the 20th century the successful development of electricity has begun throughout the industrial world. The consumption of electricity has doubled every ten years.
3. Today consumption of electricity per capita4 is an indicator of the slate of development and economic health of a nation. Electricity has replaced other sources of energy as it has been realized that it offers improved service and reduced cost. One of the greatest advantages of electricity is that it is clean, easily-regulated and generates no by-products5. Applications of electricity now cover all fields of human activity from house washing machines to the latest laser devices. Electricity is the efficient source of some of the most recent technological advances such as ' the laser and electron beams. Truly6 electricity provides mankind with the energy of the future.
VII. What is one of the greatest advantages of electricity?
Вы можете убедиться в качестве данной работы: